Former Libyan fighters demanding unpaid stipends have attacked and surrounded the headquarters of the interim government, witnesses say.
The attack on Tuesday left three dead and several others wounded, according to an interior ministry official.
A defence ministry spokesperson confirmed there were dead and injured, but he did not know casualty numbers.
"Many men encircled the building and opened fire against it with weapons including anti-aircraft cannons," a government employee present during the attack told the AFP news agency.
Several lorries mounted with anti-aircraft guns surrounded the building in central Tripoli, blocking traffic, the witnesses said.
The headquarters has previously been attacked, but our correspondent said that one of the fighters he spoke to described Tuesday's attack as the most serious.
Nasser al-Manaa, an interim government spokesperson, said the defence minister was negotiating with the fighters, who "came in protest over [unpaid] stipends", referring to a reward scheme for those who fought against Muammar Gaddafi's regime last year.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Turkish reporters get two years in prison for blasphemy
- Bulgarian town bans women from wearing full-face veils
- US election: Trump and Clinton win in Northeast poll
- Dozens killed in wave of air strikes in Syria’s Aleppo
- France charges Salah Abdeslam for Paris attacks
- French protesters clash with police over new labour law
- Egyptians and Libyan traffickers killed in dispute
- Mix of militias holds sway in Libya's Misrata
- Libya's Tripoli authority rejects UN-backed government
- Libya's Tripoli authorities back unity government
- Libyan UN-backed government starts work from naval base
- Libya's new UN-backed government issues warning
|William T. Hathaway|
|Liaquat Ali Khan|