Authorities have found the dismembered bodies of at least 40 people stuffed into bags and dumped on a highway near the northern industrial city of Monterrey in what appeared to be part of a string of brutal drug gang killings, local media reported.
The bodies were found in the early hours of Sunday, sparking a large deployment of local, state and military officials to the scene, daily Excelsior reported on its website.
"We are still in the process of counting the bodies, but there are at least 37 that we have tallied so far," a spokesperson for the state of Nuevo Leon, the home state of Monterrey, told the AFP news agency.
The bodies were found on an isolated stretch of the highway 180km from the US border.
The report follows a string of atrocities, including 18 people who were found decapitated and dismembered near Mexico's second-largest city, Guadalajara, on Wednesday.
Just a few days earlier, there were 23 killings in the city of Nuevo Laredo, in Tamaulipas state which borders the United States, comprising nine people found hanging from a bridge and 14 others that had been decapitated.
Suspected drug gang violence has flared up across the country this month, with scores of deaths attributed to massacres and clashes with security forces.
Authorities have blamed much of the deadly violence on battles between the Zetas, a gang set up by ex-commandos that and groups allied to the Sinaloa Federation of Mexico's most wanted drug lord, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Egypt: Senior military official shot dead in Cairo
- Al-Shabab seizes Somali town after peacekeeper pullout
- Telecom firm AT&T to buy Time Warner for $85bn
- Iraq turns down Turkey's help in battle for Mosul
- Hackers cripple US internet in wide-scale cyber attack
- Myanmar army forces hundreds of Rohingya from homes
- Mexico: Arrest warrant for missing Veracruz governor
- Mexico arrests ex-police chief in missing students case
- Mexico: Judge whose court handled cartel cases killed
- Mexico: 'El Chapo' sons suspected of deadly ambush
- Missing Mexico students: Case unresolved two years on
- Mexico: Calls for President Enrique Pena Nieto to quit
Who Is Your Choice for President?
|William deB. Mills|