An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Trump: I will accept election result if I win
- Egypt: Senior military official shot dead in Cairo
- Syria: Aleppo attack 'pause' ridiculed by rebels
- Iraq turns down Turkey's help in battle for Mosul
- Turkey: Army kills up to 200 YPG fighters in Aleppo
- Russia extends 'humanitarian pause' in Aleppo attack
Who Is Your Choice for President?