An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- UN agency criticises #Israel for razing Palestinian home
- Mubarak brothers released in #Egypt
- Putin says #Ukraine ordered new offensive against rebels
- Iraqi-Kurds urge coalition to expand fight against #ISIL
- US troops heading to Middle East to train #Syria rebels
- #Egypt court orders retrial of 152 Brotherhood members