An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- #Philippines army and rebel clashes leaves dozens dead
- Activists say 90 Christians abducted by ISIL in #Syria
- Ex-Israeli spy chief slams Netanyahu on #Iran handling
- US and #Iran laud 'progress' in nuclear talks
- Palestinians tear-gassed during West Bank protests
- Two top Mubarak-era officials acquitted in #Egypt
- #Indonesia stands firm on executing convicts
- #Indonesia delays execution of Australian convicts
- #Australia links tsunami aid to fate of drug smugglers
- #Australia pleads with #Indonesia over death row men
- #Indonesia halts search for AirAsia crash victims
- #AirAsia plane 'climbed too fast' before crash