An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Palestinian killed and hundreds injured in West Bank
- Netanyahu warns of punitive measures as tensions rise
- #Israel limits Palestinian access to Jerusalem Old City
- #Myanmar president sued in US over Rohingya abuse
- #NATO warns #Russia after jet strays into #Turkey
- Turkey's Erdogan slams EU response to refugee crisis
- Powerful underwater earthquake hits off east #Indonesia
- #Indonesia crop failure blamed on El Nino
- #Indonesia declares state of emergency over fire haze
- Dozens missing after crowded boat capsizes off #Malaysia
- New app shakes up Indonesia's motorbike taxi market
- Washington Backing Indonesian State Terror