An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Celebrity social media push to help Somalia goes viral
- Rebels leave Al Waer district under evacuation deal
- UK minister: 'Assailant shot by police after attack'
- North Korea 'tests new high-thrust rocket engine'
- Trump administration appeals block of travel ban
- FBI: No information to support Trump wiretap claim
- High-profile politicians caught up in $170m graft case
- Indonesia and Australia restore full military ties
- Four Indonesians richer than poorest 100 million
- Indonesia: Widespread flooding hits Jakarta
- Ahok heading for Baswedan run-off in tense Jakarta vote
- Polls open in heated vote for Jakarta's next governor
|Syed Kamal Hussain Shah|