An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- At least 130 killed in Indonesian military plane crash
- #Indonesia volcano erupts three times in hours
- #Indonesia rejects French death row inmate's last appeal
- Calls for lifting of female curfew in Indonesia's Aceh
- Abbott dodges claim #Australia paid people smugglers
- Unmarried couples caned in Indonesia's Aceh