An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Somali jet suspect 'checked in on Turkish Airlines'
- Tunisia completes barrier along Libya border
- Congo to probe alleged sex abuse by peacekeeers in CAR
- Al-Qaeda claims kidnap of Australians in Burkina Faso
- Australian released by al-Qaeda says husband is alive
- Algeria adopts landmark constitutional reforms
- Indonesia military plane crashes into house; 2 killed
- Indonesia takes 1,600 sect members for 're-education'
- Boat capsizes off Malaysia, drowning 13 Indonesians
- Malaysia minister warns tourist areas being targeted
- Indonesia names 'mastermind' of Jakarta attacks
- Jakarta attacks: ISIL claims responsibility