An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Al Jazeera journalists back in Cairo jail after verdict
- Street battles rage as #ISIL inches deeper into Damascus
- #India village council orders rapes of two sisters
- #Nepal police kill protesters amid political unrest
- Mass rally in #Beirut calls for government's downfall
- British Library rejects Taliban archive over terror law
- No survivors in #Indonesia plane crash, officials say
- Indonesian plane 'was carrying nearly $500,000 in cash'
- Villagers find wreckage of Indonesian plane in Papua
- Powerful earthquake hits Indonesia's Papua
- Five #Roma team members denied entry to Indonesia
- New app shakes up Indonesia's motorbike taxi market
|William deB. Mills|
|Liaquat Ali Khan|