An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Egypt court 'voids' Red Sea islands' transfer to Saudi
- Colombia and FARC sign historic ceasefire deal
- Dozens of pro-government fighters killed in Libya clash
- German police shoot dead hostage taker in cinema
- China to launch cruises to Spratly Islands: reports
- Report: 2015 was deadliest for environmental activism
- Scientists find likely ancestor of mystery 'Hobbit'
- Indonesia: Death penalty, castration for child rapists
- Flooding triggers deadly landslide in Sumatra
- Mass arrests reported in Indonesia's restive Papua
- Philippines: Abu Sayyaf frees 10 Indonesian captives
- Indonesia holds dialogue on 1960s communist purge
|William John Cox|