An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- #Malaysia sends four ships to look for stranded migrants
- Malaysian PM orders migrant search and rescue operation
- Migrants rescued off Indonesian coast
- #Malaysia rejects any more migrants as crisis worsens
- Rescued migrants in Aceh recount horrific journey
- #Myanmar deflects blame for Rohingya migrant crisis