An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- US election: Donald Trump seeks African American votes
- Top court approves Russia's ban from Rio Paralympics
- Turkey: Suicide bomber kills more than 50 at wedding
- Turkey backtracks on 'child suicide bomber' statement
- Turkey vows active role in Syria, better regional ties
- 'US to send team to Turkey' for Fethullah Gulen probe
- Indonesian crew 'takes' tanker due to commercial row
- Indonesia claims foiling ISIL plot against Singapore
- Crackdowns and cutbacks: Indonesia's drug policy
- Indonesia executes four convicted drug traffickers
- Ignoring appeals, Indonesia plans to execute 14
- Wiranto named Indonesia's top security minister