An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Indonesia suspends military cooperation with Australia
- Fire rips through Jakarta ferry, 23 dead
- Jakarta: Court to proceed with Purnama blasphemy trial
- Indonesia police kill suspects plotting holiday attacks
- Indonesia: We're not losing control to 'radicals'
- Indonesian president vows to rebuild quake-ravaged Aceh
|William John Cox|