An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Indonesian president vows to rebuild quake-ravaged Aceh
- Deadly Indonesia quake leaves thousands displaced
- Scores killed in Indonesian earthquake
- Indonesians rally for unity after blasphemy protests
- Indonesians rally against Purnama over blasphemy claims
- Indonesian police say suspect was making powerful bombs
Should US President-elect Donald Trump's opponents be protesting against the election result?
|William T. Hathaway|