An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- #Kenya hits out after UK issues travel warning
- #Pentagon: Offensive to take Tikrit from ISIL under way
- #Australia unveils cockpit rules after #Germanwings crash
- Al Jazeera demands release of staff detained in #Nigeria
- #Houthis told to 'surrender' at Arab League summit
- #Guinea declares 45-day #Ebola health emergency
- #Indonesia leader rejects China's South China Sea claims
- #Indonesia adjourns case against Australian smugglers
- #Indonesia calls off hunt for victims from AirAsia crash
- #Turkey detains 16 Indonesians 'attempting to join ISIL'
- #Indonesia rejects Australia's offer to save smugglers
- #Indonesia moves Australian convicts to execution island