An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Abubakar Shekau appears alive in new Boko haram video
- Deadly air strikes hit two Aleppo hospitals
- Missing Mexico students: Case unresolved two years on
- Call for emergency UN meet amid regime assault in Syria
- Aleppo civilians pay the price as bombardment continues
- India to ratify climate accord on Gandhi's birthday
- At least 20 people killed as flooding hits Indonesia
- Philippines: Abu Sayyaf frees three Indonesian hostages
- Indonesia: Plastic tax to curb rubbish dumped in rivers
- Indonesian crew 'takes' tanker due to commercial row
- Indonesia claims foiling ISIL plot against Singapore
- Crackdowns and cutbacks: Indonesia's drug policy
Who Is Your Choice for President?
|Timothy V. Gatto|