An Indonesian man has been sentenced to two and a half years in jail and fined $10,598 for professing his atheism on the internet, mediahas reported.
Alexander Aan, a West Sumatran civil servant, was sentenced in court on Thursday with blasphemy and violating internet laws.
Aan was arrested earlier this year for posting "There is no God" on the social networking website Facebook.
Prosecutors in the case had demanded a prison sentence of three and a half years but the court handed down only two and a half. Aan's lawyers said they were considering an appeal.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- #Syria using chlorine gas to attack town, activists say
- Floods replace oppressive heat in #Cuba
- Two pulled from rubble five days after #Nepal quake
- US electric car pioneer #Tesla unveils 'home battery'
- Fierce fighting grips Yemen's Aden as residents flee
- Chile's Calbuco volcano erupts for a third time
- #Indonesia defends execution of drug convicts
- #Indonesia executes drug smugglers by firing squad
- #Indonesia set to execute drug smugglers
- Families ask #Indonesia for clemency for drug prisoners
- UN chief asks #Indonesia not to execute drug convicts
- #Indonesia informs foreign drug convicts of execution