At least 20 road construction workers have been killed in a blast while working inside a tunnel in central China, officials said.
The explosion on Saturday in Hunan province also injured one person, according to provincial work safety officials.
The blast occurred when a vehicle was unloading explosives in the tunnel on a road under construction between Yanling and Rucheng in Hunan, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Twenty workers died in the blast and one body has been recovered, Xinhua said.
Four other workers escaped with injuries, and one was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Accidents and explosions are common in China due to lax enforcement of safety standards.
In November, an explosion in southwestern China killed at least seven people and injured about 200.
It was caused by three explosives-laden vehicles that caught fire and destroyed a garage and a food warehouse.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Earth Day - Be more environmentally friendly
- Taliban fighters attack Afghan army base, 'killing 140'
- North Korea: 'US has now gone seriously mad'
- Where do candidates stand on immigration, EU, religion?
- Military court convicts Cameroon journalist Ahmed Abba
- Afghanistan mourns after deadly Taliban attack on base
- Trump and China risk sparking dangerous Middle East arms race
- China urges restraint in dealing with North Korea
- China, Philippines spar over military visit to island
- China launches its first unmanned cargo spacecraft
- China: Military force won't halt North Korea threat
- China, Iran, Saudi Arabia executed most people in 2016
|Allen L. Jasson|
|William John Cox|