At least 20 road construction workers have been killed in a blast while working inside a tunnel in central China, officials said.
The explosion on Saturday in Hunan province also injured one person, according to provincial work safety officials.
The blast occurred when a vehicle was unloading explosives in the tunnel on a road under construction between Yanling and Rucheng in Hunan, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Twenty workers died in the blast and one body has been recovered, Xinhua said.
Four other workers escaped with injuries, and one was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Accidents and explosions are common in China due to lax enforcement of safety standards.
In November, an explosion in southwestern China killed at least seven people and injured about 200.
It was caused by three explosives-laden vehicles that caught fire and destroyed a garage and a food warehouse.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Russia and Syria deny striking UN aid convoy in Aleppo
- Syria's war: UN 'ready' to resume humanitarian aid
- Scores drown after boat capsizes off Egypt's coast
- Nigeria: Troops battle Boko Haram near Malam Fatori
- Trump's son compares Syrian refugees to Skittles
- Iraq: Security forces close in on ISIL-held Shirqat
- China: Lawyer Xia Lin sentenced to 12 years in jail
- Typhoon Meranti hits China after battering Taiwan
- China: Wukan in lockdown as residents clash with police
- Beijing and Moscow launch South China Sea naval drills
- South China Sea row tops ASEAN summit agenda
- Beijing's South China Sea claims scrutinised at summit
Who Is Your Choice for President?