At least 20 road construction workers have been killed in a blast while working inside a tunnel in central China, officials said.
The explosion on Saturday in Hunan province also injured one person, according to provincial work safety officials.
The blast occurred when a vehicle was unloading explosives in the tunnel on a road under construction between Yanling and Rucheng in Hunan, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Twenty workers died in the blast and one body has been recovered, Xinhua said.
Four other workers escaped with injuries, and one was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Accidents and explosions are common in China due to lax enforcement of safety standards.
In November, an explosion in southwestern China killed at least seven people and injured about 200.
It was caused by three explosives-laden vehicles that caught fire and destroyed a garage and a food warehouse.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Trump declares media 'the enemy of the American people'
- Pakistan mourns attack victims as security stepped up
- Geneva talks unlikely to focus on transition in Syria
- Social media mocks Trump for making up Sweden attack
- Ukraine truce renewed at Munich security conference
- Explosion hits Viransehir in Turkey's southeast
- Donald Tsang found guilty of corruption
- China to suspend coal imports from North Korea
- Jitters in Hong Kong over billionaire's disappearance
- Trump supports 'One China' policy in call with Xi
- Protecting Militants: China blocks UN listing of Pakistani as a globally designated terrorist
- Donald Trump wants 'constructive' ties with China
|Liaquat Ali Khan|
|William John Cox|