At least 20 road construction workers have been killed in a blast while working inside a tunnel in central China, officials said.
The explosion on Saturday in Hunan province also injured one person, according to provincial work safety officials.
The blast occurred when a vehicle was unloading explosives in the tunnel on a road under construction between Yanling and Rucheng in Hunan, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Twenty workers died in the blast and one body has been recovered, Xinhua said.
Four other workers escaped with injuries, and one was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Accidents and explosions are common in China due to lax enforcement of safety standards.
In November, an explosion in southwestern China killed at least seven people and injured about 200.
It was caused by three explosives-laden vehicles that caught fire and destroyed a garage and a food warehouse.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Al-Shabab seizes Somali town after peacekeeper pullout
- Telecom firm AT&T to buy Time Warner for $85bn
- Myanmar army forces hundreds of Rohingya from homes
- UNESCO approves new anti-Israel resolution on Jerusalem
- Prison break in Arcahaie in hurricane-hit Haiti
- Battle for Mosul: Iraq forces close in on more villages
- China, Saudi Arabia hold joint 'anti-terror' drills
- Hong Kong legislators defy ban as standoff continues
- Philippines' Duterte in China announces split with US
- Hong Kong: Tensions flare over pro-freedom politicians
- Typhoon Sarika batters China's Hainan
- Duterte: Philippines open to China, Russia 'war games'
Who Is Your Choice for President?
|William deB. Mills|