At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- NATO chief: No plans for combat troops in Libya
- Iraqis mourn protesters shot dead in Baghdad Green Zone
- G7 promises aggressive action on 'financing terrorism
- EgyptAir plane 'did not swerve' before crash
- Kurdish-led SDF launches offensive on Syria's Raqqa
- Syria civil war: ISIL bombs rock Assad-held cities
- Afghan Taliban: Haibatullah Akhunzada is new leader
- Indian, Iran and Afghanistan sign trade corridor deal
- Obama says Afghan Taliban's Mullah Mansoor dead
- Pakistan says US drone strike violated its sovereignty
- Afghan Taliban's Mullah Mansoor 'killed in US strike
- Border fencing escalates Pakistan-Afghanistan tension