At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Twin suicide bomb blast rocks northern #Cameroon village
- #Russia to halt visa-free agreement for visiting Turks
- Six children drown as refugee boats sink off #Turkey
- #Belgium charges man for 'terrorist attack' involvement
- EU reaches $3bn deal with #Turkey to curb refugee crisis
- Unrest erupts as #Macedonia erects fence on Greek border
|Timothy V. Gatto|
|William T. Hathaway|