At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read Articles
Most Read News
- Zimbabwe pleads for cash to stop mass starvation
- Nigerian refugee camp hit by twin suicide bombers
- Iraq army enters last ISIL stronghold in Ramadi
- 58,000 children 'facing death' in drought-hit Somalia
- Al-Shabab 'planning Somalia attacks using AU uniforms'
- Turkey summons US envoy over support for Syrian Kurds
- Afghan 'insider' attack kills four policemen
- Three Afghan soldiers killed in blast near army camp
- Four-country talks resume to revive Afghan peace plan
- Let the UN take the lead on Afghanistan and Syria
- Afghan boy in bag shirt excited about Messi meeting
- Deadly suicide attack rocks Afghanistan's capital