At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Telecom firm AT&T to buy Time Warner for $85bn
- Al-Shabab seizes Somali town after peacekeeper pullout
- Myanmar army forces hundreds of Rohingya from homes
- UNESCO approves new anti-Israel resolution on Jerusalem
- Prison break in Arcahaie in hurricane-hit Haiti
- Battle for Mosul: Iraq forces close in on more villages
- Ghor attack: 30 civilians killed in Afghan province
- Pakistan: LeJ behind police academy attack in Quetta
- Taliban uses drones to film attacks in Afghanistan
- Afghanistan: 43 percent rise in estimated opium harvest
- Two Americans killed in attack at Kabul army base
- Afghanistan: New attack kills 14 worshippers at mosque
Who Is Your Choice for President?
|William deB. Mills|