At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Deadly clashes in south #Lebanon refugee camp
- #Russia blocks UN tribunal on #MH17
- Pastor 'admits bid to build Christian state in N Korea'
- UK restricts dissident Chinese artist's visa request
- Several dead in #Turkey in attacks blamed on PKK group
- US and #Turkey agree to create 'ISIL-free zone' in #Syria
- New #Taliban head calls for unity in first audio message
- #Afghanistan peace talks on hold amid Taliban turmoil
- #Taliban elects new leader after Mullah Omar's death
- Afghan government says Mullah Omar dead
- Wedding celebrations in #Afghanistan turn bloody
- Suicide blast leaves several dead in #Afghanistan market