At least four Taliban fighters have been killed during a suicide attack in the border city of Khost in eastern Afghanistan.
The Taliban said its fighters rammed a vehicle packed with large amounts of explosives into the city's US military base on Friday.
The blast was heard throughout the city and smoke was rising near the base, a witness and nearby residents said.
There was no immediate word on casualties. NATO said it was aware of an incident in the area but it was too early to comment.
Violence has surged across Afghanistan since the Taliban began its yearly summer offensive in April, vowing to target Afghan government and security forces, as well as the 130,000 foreign troops in the country.
A police source said a gun battle was raging near the base and local security forces were unable to get close to the area.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Deadly air strikes hit two Aleppo hospitals
- Missing Mexico students: Case unresolved two years on
- Aleppo civilians pay the price as bombardment continues
- Syria's war: US-Russia talks 'on verge of ending'
- Alfred Olango: US police kill mentally ill black man
- Saudi Aramco eyes $334bn investment by 2025
- Afghanistan: Ghani, Hekmatyar sign peace deal
- US air strike reportedly kills 13 Afghan civilians
- At least 12 Afghan soldiers die in 'insider attack'
- Afghanistan: Hezb-i-Islami armed group signs peace deal
- Gulbuddin Hekmatyar's group signs Afghan peace deal
- Afghanistan: Eight Afghan policemen killed in US strike
Who Is Your Choice for President?
|Timothy V. Gatto|