The trial of a Norwegian accused of killing 77 people in twin attacks last year has been adjourned until Tuesday, with the suspect pleading not guilty but arguing he acted in self-defence.
Anders Behring Breivik, 33, told a court in the Norwegian capital Oslo on Monday he killed eight people in a car bombing and 69 others in the town of Utoeya - mainly youths attending the governing Labour party summer camp - because he opposed multiculturalism promoted by the party.
"I acknowledge the acts, but not criminal guilt," Breivik said, referring to the July 2011 attacks over which prosecutors accuse him of committing acts of terror.
He said he acted against "Muslim invasion of Europe" in what is being seen as an unprecedented trial in Norway's history.
The prosecution said he would begin his testimony when the trial resumes.
The proceedings from the specially adapted Oslo District Court were broadcast live to 17 local courthouses around the country to accommodate more than 770 survivors and families of victims figuring as plaintiffs.
Breivik arrived in court for the morning's opening session in Oslo amid tight security and massive media attention, with proceedings set to focus on whether or not he is legally sane.
Jo Stigen, a law professor at the University of Oslo, said the trial was a "fascinating case", but that it was a peculiar situation where the accused claims responsibility for the killings and "now pleads he committed them in self-defence".
"To me it sounds a pretty absurd argument," Stigen said.
"If he is declared insane his mission totally will fall apart. So it is extremely important to be considered insane and to be held criminally responsible."
If convicted, Breivik faces a 21-year sentence that could be extended indefinitely if he is still considered a threat to society.
If deemed to be insane, he would face closed psychiatric care, possibly for life.
Court not recognised
Upon his entrance to the court, Breivik lifted his right fist in an apparent far-right salute.
"I do not recognise the Norwegian courts. You have received your mandate from political parties which support multiculturalism", Breivik told the court, adding that he wished to be tried in a military court. "I do not acknowledge the authority of the court."
Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen, the lead judge, responded, telling Breivik that he would have time to make statements later on in the trial.
Breivik displayed little emotion as the prosecutor read out a list of those killed and how they had died as well as his charges, but later appeared tearful as the court was shown a 12-minute film that he had posted online on the day of the attacks.
Entering his plea on Monday, he said he had acted in self-defence.
His lawyers had earlier said he would argue that his actions were "cruel but necessary".
Breivik has said he acted alone against those he considered to be "state traitors" for opening Norway up to multiculturalism and allowing a "Muslim invasion" of Europe.
The trial is expected to focus on whether or not Breivik is criminally sane and therefore accountable for his actions.
A first court-ordered psychiatric exam found him insane, while a second opinion came to the opposite conclusion.
Five judges will consider psychiatric evaluations presented to the court, with a verdict expected to be handed down in July.
But many Norwegians feel Breivik will use the trial as a showcase for far-right views expounded in a more-than 1,500-page document published online prior to the attack.
In that self-styled manifesto, Breivik described a trial as offering "a stage to the world".
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Earth Day - Be more environmentally friendly
- Taliban fighters attack Afghan army base, 'killing 140'
- North Korea: 'US has now gone seriously mad'
- Where do candidates stand on immigration, EU, religion?
- Military court convicts Cameroon journalist Ahmed Abba
- Afghanistan mourns after deadly Taliban attack on base
|Allen L. Jasson|
|William John Cox|