Thursday, October 19, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Qatar agrees to buy 24 fighter jets from Britain

Doha signs agreement to purchase two dozen Typhoon aircraft in second major arms purchase since Gulf crisis began.

UK's Typhoon

Qatar has signed an agreement to buy 24 Typhoon fighter jets from Britain, the second major defence deal signed by Doha during its lengthy diplomatic dispute with its Gulf neighbours.

Qatar's defence chief Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah and his British counterpart Michael Fallon signed a "statement of intent" for the UK to sell the planes, according to statements released by London and on social media.

"This will be the first major defence contract with Qatar, one of the UK's strategic partners," Fallon said. "This is an important moment in our defence relationship and the basis for even closer defence cooperation between our two countries.

"We also hope that this will help enhance security within the region across all Gulf allies." 


RELATED: US and Qatar seal $12bn deal for F-15 fighter jets


The Eurofighter Typhoon is a joint project between British defence group BAE Systems, France's Airbus, and Italy's Finmeccanica.

The cost of the aircraft deal was not released.  

BAE agreed in 2014 to supply Saudi Arabia with 72 Typhoon jets in a deal worth $6bn.

The British ambassador to Qatar, Ajay Sharma, said on Twitter the deal is a "major step" in defence relations between the countries. The development was also confirmed by the official Qatar News Agency on Sunday.

In June this year, it was announced that Qatar agreed to buy F-15 jets from the US in a $12bn deal. And in 2016, Qatar agreed to buy 24 Dassault Rafale fighter jets from France in a deal worth a reported $8bn.

The weapon sales come after Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, and Egypt cut ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of backing "extremism" and fostering ties with their rival Iran. 

Qatar has repeatedly denied the charges, claiming the dispute is an attack on its sovereignty.

The crisis has put the region on edge and prompted Turkey to send troops to Doha in a sign of support.


Qatar-Gulf crisis: All the latest updates 


While both sides in the dispute have ruled out the use of force, some ordinary Qataris say they worry about the possibility of military action.

Kuwait's Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, the main mediator in the Gulf dispute, said earlier this month military action has been "stopped".

In a joint statement, the blockading nations expressed regret about the Kuwaiti emir's comments. "The military option was not and will not be [used] in any circumstance," it said. 


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Israel closes Palestinian media gro...

Read More

Dying Palestinian teen longs for im...

Read More

Khamenei hailed European position o...

Read More

Iraq's military declares mission ac...

Read More

Qatar accuses Saudi Arabia of promo...

Read More

ISIL capitalises on Peshmerga retre...

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Che Guevara remembered

Is it autumn yet in Europe?