Monday, December 18, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Nasrallah rejects Arab League statement on Hezbollah

In continuing war of words Nasrallah says no proof Hezbollah 'supporting terrorism and extremist groups' in Arab states.

Nasrallah's speech on Monday

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah has rejected claims made by Arab foreign ministers that the Lebanese group is arming rebels in Yemen.

In a televised speech on Monday from Beirut, Nasrallah, whose Shia group is represented in the Lebanese parliament and has a strong military wing, called the claims made at the previous day's Arab League meeting "ridiculous".

Referring to a paragraph in the final statement made after the meeting in Cairo, which accused Hezbollah of "supporting terrorism and extremist groups in Arab countries with advanced weapons and ballistic missiles", Nasrallah said there was no proof for such claims.

Saudi Arabia has accused Hezbollah of playing a role in the November 4 firing of a ballistic missile by Yemen's Iran-allied Shia Houthi rebels towards the King Khaled International Airport outside Riyadh. 


READ MORE: Will Saudis impose Qatar-style blockade on Lebanon?


"We have not sent any ballistic missiles or advanced weapons - not even guns - not to Yemen, not to Bahrain, not to Kuwait, not to Iraq ... or any Arab country," Nasrallah said, adding that Hezbollah does not own ballistic missiles.

The only places that Hezbollah has sent weapons to were Palestine and Syria, he said.

Nasrallah's speech comes amid heightened tension between Iran - Hezbollah's ally - and Saudi Arabia since Saad Hariri's surprise resignation in Riyadh as Lebanon's prime minister, just hours before the missile fired by the Houthi rebels was intercepted near the Saudi capital.

Hariri, a Sunni politician and ally of Saudi Arabia, cited Iran's "grip" on his country and threats to his life as the reasons for his resignation.

Arab League accusations

The special summit in the Egyptian capital on Sunday was requested by Saudi Arabia to discuss alleged "violations" committed by Iran in the Arab region.

At the meeting, Adel al-Jubeir, Saudi foreign minister, said Iran was aiming "to destabilise and fuel sectarian rift" in the region "and to drive a wedge between ourselves and our people".

The Bahraini foreign minister, Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, also spoke, accusing Iran of inflicting "thousands of wounds" on his country.

"Iran has arms in the region, the largest of which is Hezbollah," said Khalid bin Ahmed, adding that Iran threatened the security of Arab states.

Referring to the November 4 missile incident near Riyadh, Nasrallah said: "I spoke of this before, but some did not understand: no one from Hezbollah had any responsibility in this. The problem with Saudi Arabia is that they don't understand that Yemenis have brains and are strong and can produce their own weapons."

He went on to condemn the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, saying: "Call on Saudi Arabia to halt its massacres."

Despite waging a military offensive in Yemen for more than two years now, the coalition has so far failed to achieve its stated aims of dislodging the Houthi rebels from the capital, Sanaa, and the country's north.

The war has taken a huge toll on the country: More than 10,000 civilians have been killed and millions of Yemenis have been left without basic necessities.

War against ISIL 

In the context of the ongoing war against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), Nasrallah said on Monday that the armed group's era would be over when its fighters are removed from the Syrian border town of al-Bukamal.


READ MORE: The rise and fall of ISIL explained


"This does not mean that Daesh is over, but the infrastructure of Daesh is over," he said, using the Arabic acronym for ISIL, also known as ISIS. 

Nasrallah, whose fighters are battling anti-government groups in Syria, said he is willing to pull Hezbollah out of neighbouring Iraq once the central government announces victory over ISIL in that country.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Syria blame game continues after fa...

Read More

Palestinian double amputee killed b...

Read More

Billionaire Sabih al-Masri detained...

Read More

Palestinians killed in protests aga...

Read More

Five key developments since Trump's...

Read More

Protests held worldwide against Jer...

Read More

Global_News

Draft resolution following Trump's declaration is unlikely to pass, facing a probable veto by the US.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'